Wednesday, May 19, 2010

5/19

Filet Mignon - (See how to cook a steak) Cracked black pepper and sea salt.

Scalloped potatoes

Green Beans

Ice cream, Strawberries and chocolate morsels

I am not a cooking snob. I am not above using things from a box or that are already prepared. I am however kind of picky and I don't like to eat things that taste like they come from a box or straight out of the can. Fortunately there are an increasing number of options along these lines that save time and unless you confess, no one will know. We are trying to eat healthier too. Often, the two goals are not exclusive.

Case in point was tonights meal. I used Betty Crocker Scalloped Potatoes (100% real potatoes) Good stuff, ready in 20 minutes (mix and bake) and in a 1/2 cup serving 130 calories only 30 of which are fat. Kid favorite.

Green Beans from a can. Kid favorite. Wife favorite. Me, not so much. So I use the bacon off my filet and add to my portion. ( so much for healthy but I do try- most of the time). Chopping up a few onions in a batch helps too. The kids can pick around them and I get more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment