Friday, May 21, 2010

5/20

Nothing makes a quick meal like precooked ingredients. I grilled chicken over the week-end and grilled a couple of extra.

Tonight, Basmati rice (actually a Texas version called Texmati) nutty and sweet smelling it cooks in about 15 minutes. Tonight I added a tsp of chicken bouillon granules for a change. This rice needs little help to be tasty though and the teen-ager loves it.

While the rice cooks I make Tomato-Rosemary Chutney from the Conscious Cuisine cookbook my neighbor picked up from a garage sale. She said she originally bought it for herself but figured she would have a better chance of  trying it if she gave it to me. :-)

1/2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil to cover the bottom of a sauté pan.
Add 1 cup finely chopped red onion (1 large) and cook till softened.
add 2 tsp minced garlic ( I like Spice World's)
Mix in 4 cups diced peeled tomatoes (about 4 mdm)
and 2 T balsamic vinegar
and  1 T finely chopped Rosemary

Simmer for about 15 minutes till tomatoes cook down

Season with 1/4 tsp of sea salt

Store in airtight container in fridge for 4-5 days

I halved the recipe and did not peel the tomatoes.

After the rice was taken off the heat ( it stays covered for 15 minutes off the heat) I added the chicken to warm it up (since it was already cooked)

Serve the rice and chicken and chutney with a salad.

Note* Teenager like the chutney
Wife liked it but was not overwhelmed, nor was I. But it was good enough to try again (maybe peel the tomatoes and use a full recipe). The sauce is good for pasta or chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment